Last week 100 Iowans from across the state gathered at the Iowa State House to lobby in support of HF 203, a factory farm moratorium. IARA supporters along with Iowa CCI and Food & Water Watch members met with nearly 30 state legislators then concluded the day with a rousing press conference and rally.
Many thanks to everyone who were able to get through the snow-covered roads to make it to Des Moines. It was a great day and a powerful moment to see so many factory farm activists crowded together at House Chamber steps speaking with their elected officials.
We still have some follow-up work to do.
HF 203 was introduced to the Environmental Protection Committee, chaired by Rep. Dean Fisher. But Rep. Fisher is refusing to assign the moratorium bill to a subcommittee, the next step in moving legislation forward. We tried to meet with Rep. Fisher last week, but many of us were told he was out of the chamber.
It’s completely unacceptable that Rep. Fisher is single handedly holding up HF 203. Assigning it to a subcommittee would provide an opportunity for the bill to be debated and possibly scheduled for a public hearing. This is an issue of critical importance for Iowans all across the state.
Rep. Fisher needs to hear from us. Can you help? Would you take a few minutes to either call him at 888-724-8946 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell him to assign HF 203 to a subcommittee?
Here are some points you can include:
- As chair of the Environmental Protection Committee, please assign HF 203 to a subcommittee.
- The bill has 13 official cosponsors and another seven supporting the bill. At the very least, it deserves to be discussed.
- The bill is pro-agriculture as it would enable MORE hog farmers to get back on the land as independent hog farmers.
- We need to take a temporary pause on building new and expanding CAFOs so we can get a handle on the ways that factory farms impact Iowans and our waterways all across the state.
- Thank him for seriously considering your request.
Want more talking points? Find them here: Talking Points; Why Iowa Needs a Factory Farm Moratorium
After your call, please email us at email@example.com and let us know how it went.
PS – If you missed the day, check out this recording with highlights of the press conference and rally.